7 Nov 2010

Research Lecture, 03.11.2010 - food for thought

The reasearch method lecture with Jane Holt (from the library) and David Cross (Reader): Jane Holt's introduction was actually quite usefull. When I tried the e-library multisearch I found an interesting article "The Memory Effect: Anachronism, Time and Motion" by Charles Green" discussing the work of William Kentridge, Aby Warburg and Doug Aitken. Really good start to get some more names and ideas and to pick up new research from there.
The talk by David Cross was very interesting and and rich, but I think he lost me when he gave a literary review on Bonjour Tristesse and connections to Quantum Physics. In general, his work seems to be often influenced by driving around the area where he is doing a commission and getting inspiration from the "here and now" formulating an intuitive response...which is very interesting, no?!
In terms of my own work (- and probably anybodies) this is such a crucial part: realizing why and how I react/response towards certain images when I do my research and what it is I am interested in using them for image creation/investigation/development.
Some thoughts on my work during the course so far (I will post some images as well soon).
First etching: using 3 zink plates (left overs) to create 1 image...building up some aquatint...the process is interesting in the beginning, the possibilities to create "pretty" images is basically endless...light and shadow create situations full of tension and dramatic atmospheres...
First lithography: I was not sure what to make of it but I thought it would be interesting to try out the possibilities this technique offers in regards of translating the haptic structure of the drawing medium into a flat surface...and it is a very direct drawing experience - which I haven't had for quite a while (basically since I banished all charcole and other "dirty" stuff from my practice)...I think the resulting drawing i made using a template from a First Aid at Home book is quite interesting and having looked at it for quite a while seems to grow in intensity (which is a good sign).
Having had the first letterpress induction last Thursday I would be curious to use the letterpress to actually give the drawing a description similar to the subtitle the original image has using the same convention: fig1. ...
The image showing two portraits of man with their faces hidden by two white shapes (masks, bandage) the description could be taken from a ethnology (voelkerkunde) book refering to the bandages as "tribal" masks, combining two sources creating a third. = ficticious archive

Another find during the weekend:

I found these two copies of the same photograph, being mounted on exactly the same board, showing a graveyard and a cross with a number and a name stenciled on it. The fact that I found two copies of it, not one, put into perspective the nature of this image or better, the nature of my reaction towards it. Finding one image, creates a direct connection between me and the depicted, its all about what is on the pictures, what is written, who might it be, etc. I dive into the image and all the emotions that it triggers. Having found two, I first start thinking about the fact that this is a photograph that has been at least printed twice, so it can serve two people as a memorabilia, it creates a distance, a second layer.
I have recently started taking out maps and diagrams from a publication I had two identical copies. This might be an interesting thing to look at, how multiples presented as multiples or doubles create a different perception/awarness of the image as object.

No comments:

Post a Comment